Friday, March 7, 2008

Weekly Progress Report.

Tis late this snowy Friday night. We're all snuggled in for the night as "the biggest winter storm in a decade" is predicted to arrive tomorrow. (according to the all-knowing weathermen! we'll see.) I am reflecting on our school week, and wanted to report our accomplishments.

First, you may have heard of the book, "Tuesdays With Morrie", but around here we're quite excited to have "Tuesdays with Daddy"! Derek is on a four day work week schedule, and he is home on Tuesdays. Nothing could be more wonderful for a homeschooling family. We get to plan things without the crowds and bustle of a weekend, and enjoy our time together. We love to take our library trips on Tuesdays, and this week it was extra fun because our local library had a family craft night, painting mugs. The kids really enjoyed it. I feel blessed to have such a nice library so close by. We also try to take advantage of Tuesdays to "split up" and do some one-on-one "dates" with the kids. It's important when you have four to make sure that you still provide for individual time. So this week, Cameron had time in the morning with Daddy, while the girls each had a turn going out with Mommy in the afternoon. Lauren and I went to a nearby cafe' for cocoa and muffins, while we worked in our "Growing Little Women" book together. Sophie and I made a trip to Kmart for accessories for her Baby Alive doll. Nothing grand or extravagant, but their little faces just light up like Christmas when we have these little "dates". :)

As for school, how blessed I feel again this week for the progress made!

Lauren: Spitting out her multiplication tables with growing ease. She's a natural speller. Is enjoying her study of the fall of Rome, and we've supplemented SOTW with books from the library, including an Atlas of Ancient Times. Doing very well with the latin studies: this week we began learning a latin prayer called "The Sanctus". She also handwrote a beautiful letter to a lady from our church who winters in Florida. (The WTM approach encourages letter writing once a week or so to strengthen writing skills. Look out....you could be on the receiving end one of these days!) She moved on to a new song in her piano studies this week that really is tell-tale for how much she moving along in piano study. I'm so proud of her. She had a great week.

Cameron: Still coming along beautifully on his Math speed drills. I marvel at how easily Math comes to him. Definitely a trait from Daddy's side of the family. Cameron used to complain a lot about handwriting, and just didn't want to give it his best at all. I've been so pleased that he has taken to cheering when I tell him to get out his handwriting work! And with that positive attitude has come greatly improved cursive writing! He's still progressing well with First Language Lessons. Enjoys reading independently, although I've been focusing more on having him stand upright and read aloud to me with proper diction. This is a challenge for him, but he's doing well. His latest read has been a book about King Tut from the library, complete with all kinds of photos, and drawings. He's quite taken with this topic right now.

Sophie: This little gal has just thrown herself full-swing into the idea of "school". I can't believe what a difference a few months makes at this age. Even though she just turned five a few wks ago, there is a definite change in her attention span, and she doesn't want to miss anything. Doesn't want Sizzy and Bubs to have school without her! I have worked with Sophie extensively this week on writing. She has learned cursive A's, U's, and E's so far. It is a real struggle for her to form the letter properly; she seems to achieve the look of the letter, but goes around "Robin Hood's Barn" to get there! So it has taken lots of methodical repetition to get these letters formed properly. There's lots of cheering and jigging when this is done! She continues to enjoy the FLL with Cameron, and has been using Math manipulatives leftover from K12 to help her understand groups of ones, tens, and hundreds. More work to be done there, but she's having fun with it. She also gets a big kick out of being the first to answer some of the Latin vocabulary quizzing that we do. It's very cute. Sophie says she wants to be a librarian when she grows up, which would be just fine with her Mama!

I'm just too tuckered out this week to do it, but I hope to start scanning in some of their work to have on record here.

We're thankful for another good week.

4 Words of Wisdom:

Queen Essie said...

Although I do not homeschool our children, I am enjoying reading your curriculum choices, updates, etc.
I noticed your mentioning of multiplication tables - do you have a special method or studying help for these? My Alyssa struggles with some of these still and I am always looking for ways to help her. I would enjoy hearing your input.
Thanks, Esther

Marty said...

Tara, I am so proud of you. I have talk with Juwah just this last week with some of my same concerns re our schooling. We are anticipating a change next year as well! Thanks for the encouragment!! Steven also would rather me teach than watch the DVD's...I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one feeling this way!!
That is what I was going to call you about several months ago...but thought maybe I would be being negative. I'll call soon...after school hours for sure..Ha! I love being able to follow what you are doing..Wish I could come go with you and Juwah at the end of the month..we have Ladies Retreat that weekend!

Love ya,
Marty

Anonymous said...

Tara,

You don't know what a blessing this new blog is to me! I am new in embarking on the home-school journey (planning on it this fall). I'm a SPONGE for helpful information to figure out what curriculum to use, tactics, scheduling, etc, etc, etc. I am also the only person in our church who will be home-schooling (that I know of - since our church has a great Christian school) so I was tickled to see you had started this blog. I feel like I NEED friends who I can talk to about this and get ideas from. You can read books until you are blue in the face and it doesn't compare with ideas from people you know and trust.
Thanks so much for letting us peek into your home-school journey!

I am not putting my name on here...yet... because I haven't told our principal (and someone from our church may read this!)
but you know me, we used to be across the hall at Hobe Sound, and we used to sit in the floor and look at wedding magazines together. (wink)

Tara said...

Thanks, gals, for your kind words! I am still finding my way in some of this stuff, but it IS a blessing to be able to learn from one another.

Essie: I'm not sure I have anything of value for you re: the times tables. We're finishing out the year using the Abeka book loosely. Since we had already paid for it. I just drill Lauren. We clap in rhythm as we recite the tables. Repetition seems to have been the key for her. Hope that helps somewhat!

Marty: I'm so sorry that you and I were going through the same thing and we didn't commiserate together! You should have called me, girl. ANYTIME! :) I'll be looking forward to hearing how you're addressing your issues for next year. I know Steven and Cameron had the same video teacher this year. Did Steven have the same reaction as Cam did? I also wish you could come and go to the Convention w/us. That would be so great. Maybe next year we'll have a whole delegation of A-hallers!! The dates for the Cincy conv. are in the middle of April for next year.

Miss Anonymous: I know who you are! Big blessings your way as you begin this journey. I know well that knot in your stomach right now! Especially being the only one in your church, etc. My out-of-the-gate advice would be to just "own" your decision. Don't hang your head, or apologize for it. Don't be embarrassed by it. This is a choice you haven't made lightly. And you're doing what you feel is right for your family. Be gracious and magnanimous. But don't be ashamed!