Thursday, March 6, 2008

Very Important....

I had heard about a situation in California regarding the legality of homeschooling, and I had hoped that it was maybe hype or over-reactionary. Alas, this seems not to be the case. In effect, a court ruling has stated that it is unconstitutional for parents to educate their children at home. This is a very serious matter, and should be of grave concern for ALL parents. Not just homeschooling ones. If the government is able to interfere in this basic parental right, there may be no stopping what other areas in which they may reach their hand into our homes. And it does NOT belong there!

Tomorrow's (March 7th) Focus on the Family broadcast will address this topic further. Let's all be in prayer that a reversal will be achieved.

4 Words of Wisdom:

Julia said...

Tara;

I am so enjoying this blog! I have been reviewing TWTM myself this week preparing for next year. It is such an inspirational book. I'm so glad you all are loving school again. One thing about this method is I'm learning too. It is so much fun to learn together.

So Sophie is starting Latin? That's helpful to know. I just assumed that all Latin Curriculum were geared for 3rd grade level or higher. I'd love to talk to you more about this.

The Language Lessons you mentioned, is that the series written by Sandy Queen?

You mentioned the motor skill issue with Cameron. (I think this is a boy thing generally) This may be a fun idea I tried this week. I put a few drops of food coloring in rice and made it blue. Then I poured it into a coookie sheet. Josiah writes his letters in this. He loves the tactile experience and he is able to practise those letters on a bigger scale which I think will help as we come back down to the smaller paper. Just an idea that is fun.

Well, I'll stop or this comment will turn into a blog. :)

Tara said...

Thanks for stopping by, Julia! I'm looking forward to any interaction on this blog, too. It can be so helpful. I may have to try your "rice trick" with Sophie, since now Cameron seems to have just taken off with his writing. Sophie does really well ONCE SHE FINALLY GRASPS the letter formation. It seems like it takes her forever to understand the proper way to form the letter, kwim? Of course, I am trying to not expect too much of her. She JUST TURNED five, and I don't want to place undue expectations on her when her siblings weren't even doing cursive at this young of an age.

As for the Latin, we have spent the last couple of weeks feeling our way here. I am using the Prima Latina series, which is for K-2nd or 3rd, I believe. ALL of the children are enjoying it very much, and so far Sophie has had just as much retention of the material as the older two!! This may change as it becomes more challenging, though!
I am using the First Language Lessons, by Jessie Wise, with Cameron and Sophie. Again, Sophie is grasping the material beautifully. I just follow the rule of requiring more narration, and writing from Cameron since he's older. This series is very foundational, line upon line, precept upon precept. I don't always review the same stuff as much as it says b/c my kids hate unnecessary repetition when they know the material well. Once they know it front to back, and back again, I move on. But it is a WONDERFUL series. I have heard of the ones by Queen, too. I've read mixed reviews of it. But mostly positive.
Well, mine is turning into a book, too! I will talk to you soon, and better yet....SEE you soon!

Julia said...

Funny. I just ordered Jesse Wise's Language book 1 from Amazon for next year. We used one of Sandy Queen's Language Lessons for Little Ones this year. The narrartion exercises were great and the art was awesome, but a lot of the material we skipped because we already knew it.

I will be checking the Prima Latina stuff out at the Convention. I'm excited about this. thanks.

Anonymous said...

I listened to that broadcast and actually cried! Thankfully I live in one of the BEST states to home-school, but the implications for the rest of the U.S. are so SCARY if the Cal. Supreme court doesn't over-rule this! Especially if we get a Democrat president! I read the court documents and it stated that the state couldn't possibly come into each home and "supervise" each parent making it impossible to make sure parents were qualified. How DARE they (she said with clenched teeth)!!! Like they have the right! I could go on and on but I better quit before I explode.
From: Miss Anonymous :-)